Medical Advertisement Ministry of Health Appl.No. CB62039 – valid upto 12.06.2019
Premarital Genetic Screening
Premarital screening is a group of tests recommended for couples that are going to get married, to prevent as much as possible transmitting disease to their offspring.
Premarital or preconception tests include testing for genetic, infectious and blood transmitted diseases.
Premarital screening varies from one region to another depending on the prevalence of the diseases in that region. From these tests there are some more specific for the gulf region, for example testing for sickle cell disease and thalassemia.
Premarital screening test include the following:
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Blood group (ABO & Rh typing)
- Hb Variants testing (Thalassemia, Sickle cell)
- Sexually transmitted diseases
b. Hepatitis B
c. Hepatitis C
e. Other STDs (i.e gonorrhea, Chlamydia …)
Other testing might include :
- Male and Female fertility testing
Premarital genetic testing may be necessary if the spouses come from related families or are directly related (consanguineous) and mainly in couples with known genetic diseases in the family to find out if there is a chance for their children to be affected by this disease.
- General blood tests (e.g. blood group, hemoglobin studies)
- STD and infectious disease testing (see STD Panel Test)
- Hormone testing, semen analysis, ovarian function (see Fertility)
- Chromosome analysis (see Fertility)
- preconGEN - a powerful and precise genetic test, created in order to determine the chances of being a carrier of some of 176 genetic diseases
Please contact us if you wish to have a consultation with one of our pathologists.
according to ISO 15189
SAT - THU 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM | FRIDAY : 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM